'68 18GF Engine.

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '68 18GF Engine.
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:14:21 -0500
Hi All,
   I just got a 18GF engine/transmission (O/D) out of a '68 B parts car
to go into one of my cars.  First on the agenda was to do some basic
check out and see how much work needed to be done before installation,
so I figured I'd check oil pressure and compression for starters.
   The info. I have from Haynes and Bentlys lists compression ratios of
130 PSI for the LC 8:1 engines and 160 PSI for the HC 8.8:1.  Here are
the readings I got, plugs removed turning over with the starter motor.
      #1     198 PSI
      #2     200 PSI
      #3     198 PSI
      #4     185 PSI
 Any comments?  As and added attraction/distraction, I was under the
impression that the 18GF was a ECC engine, and as such would have
an air injector head.  This one doesn't, so did the non-ECC heads have
smaller combustion chambers, thereby giving me a higher compression
ratio accounting for the above numbers.  Any guess as to what the CR
would have to be to generate the above.  ( I guess another possibilty
would be cam timing from a hotter cam contributing to the CR.)

 Another good sign I think,  this engine generates 55 Lbs of oil pressure
(cold) cranking it over with the starter motor only ( aka not running).  The
oil is standard 20/50 castorol.

 I'm thinking of cleaning up this thing, replaceing all the exterior hoses
and gaskets, the front and rear seals and running it as is for a while.  Any
comments from the learned?

Harlan.