Re: '68 18GF Engine.

To: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: '68 18GF Engine.
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 06:46:33 -0400
 I have from Haynes and Bentlys lists compression ratios of
>130 PSI for the LC 8:1 engines and 160 PSI for the HC 8.8:1.  Here are
>the readings I got, plugs removed turning over with the starter motor.
>      #1     198 PSI
>      #2     200 PSI
>      #3     198 PSI
>      #4     185 PSI
> Any comments?

<SNIP!>

Any guess as to what the CR
>would have to be to generate the above.  ( I guess another possibilty
>would be cam timing from a hotter cam contributing to the CR.)

Any chance the head could have been serviced and shaved?  Check it out - it
might not be original, though i have no idea if a shave job could get you
compression like that!  I can't comment about the hot cam, but what if there
was engine work, the head was shaved AND high compression pistons were
fitted?  Then you'd have a runner...

> I'm thinking of cleaning up this thing, replaceing all the exterior hoses
>and gaskets, the front and rear seals and running it as is for a while.
Any
>comments from the learned?

I don't want to try to take on the title of "learned" but I would say to go
for it.  Check out all them important things to make sure it's not leaking
profusely, and give it some running time!  Just be sure to listen for any
signs of an imminent rebuild...But with the numbers you quoted, you should
be alright...Keep us informed!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/