Re: fastest MG

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: fastest MG
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 07:18:12 -0700
Keith Wheeler wrote:

> At 09:55 PM 9/1/98 EDT, MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:
> >YOU DID YOU DID!  But too bad it wasn't an MG...  Consider it the worlds
> >fastest badge engineering job.
> >
> >   John
> >
> >BTW, world fastest production car at one point, the XJ220, has an MG
> engine in
> >it, figure that one out.  Now thats the one that should have had an MG badge
> >lurking on it maybe it woulnd't have been such a spectacular flop.
> >

> Now the XJ220 is one I know about...
>
> As many of you know I'm a huge fan of the Rover V-8 engine.  What
> does that have to do with the XJ220?  Well, see, in the '80s when
> MG was dead (or some folks think) there was this rally car with
> a 3 litre aluminum block V-6, with cylinder heads designed by
> non other than Williams Grand Prix engineering. (if any of those
> blokes ever see mailing lists like this, do you have any need
> for a firmware engineer?)
>
> This incredible little rally car was called the MG 6R4.  The engine also
> found its way (at least was planned to be) in the MG EX-E.
>
> Later this nifty powerplant was turbo charged and used in Jaguar GTPs,
> and then the XJ220.
>
> At least that's my understanding of it...
>
> -Keith Wheeler
> Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/

Correct...
         There was a production of just under 200 MG METRO's fitted with
a Vee-six cylinder version of the Rover ( Buick) V8. Six cylinders
because the V8 was too long. It was called the 6R4 meaning V.6.,
cylinder .R.ally-.4. Wheel Drive. In 1984 the V8 was cut down to 2.5ltrs
with twelve valves and produced 250bhp initially on six down-draught
Webers. In 1985 the engine was redesigned as a V6 properly, and this
engine was called the V64V, all aluminium engine. meaning .V6,4 V.alves.
This had a belt driven double overhead camshaft, four valves per
cylinder, with 3 ltrs capacity. With Lucas Micos fuel injection adapted
from the Jaguar XJR racing car, electronic ignition it produced 250bhp
initially, and eventually 400bhp. To compete in Autocross it was
deteuned to 250bhp for reliability and traction. In 1987 it was bored
out to 3.8 ltrs and produced 550bhp, normally aspirated,( remember, this
is a little MG Metro body on a tubular space frame, 4 wheel drive
rocket.) Some were reduced to 2.3 ltrs and fitted with two exhaust
powered turbo-chargers and flew about with 750bhp on tap. These went
from 0 to 60mph in just THREE SECONDS. Records show 233 cars were
produced, but this is disputed. They were eventually outlawed from
competing, and Autin/Rover sold them off for pennies.

Neil.
( My '52 YB just makes 46bhp!!!!!!!!!)
( On a good day.......)