Re: mga: Crazy Idea MGA

To: mga@ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: mga: Crazy Idea MGA
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 12:00:58 EDT
In a message dated 04/09/98 10:01:00 AM EST,  simon_matthews@avanticorp.com
writes:

<< Did anyone see the racing windscreens offered recently -- might have been
 in MG Enthusiast or MG World -- not Brooklands type, instead a full width
 screen, but lower.  >>

There was a (rare) factory racing screen that used alloy side stanchions with
a low screen, glass I believe. They were ordered on some of the Twincam cars
intended for racing, and perhaps on some pushrod cars, but I don't have the
records on them.

On my race car I used to use a cheater screen - the regs required a
windscreen, but failed to specify the height. Back in the days before I became
a lawyer, I guess I still had the same mind set, because I made up a couple of
strips of aluminum with a bit of plexiglass that stood about 1/2" proud of the
aluminum. Whe they told me that this was not what they had intended, I said
great - I guess you'll do a better job on the rule book _next_ time, and got
to keep my windscreen.

When I retired from normal racing and went vintage, I returned some of the
mods closer to stock, like swapping the alloy wheels and modified hubs back to
Twincam wheels, and I also took a couple of stock windscreen stanchions and
cut them down, using the factory racing screen as a guide, rechromed them, and
made up a plexi screen to go in it. Looks much more in period, and actually
does catch some bugs - I caught some giant June bug or something in the helmet
at about 120 mph once and it shocks the hell out of you. I think it was in the
latest MG vintage racers newsletter that I saw a tale of one guy that got
'bugged' and actually spun out.

Bill