Re: wire hub advice

To: Wetmgs@aol.com
Subject: Re: wire hub advice
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:05:08 -0500
Marc...

Are you SURE you have the spinners on the correct side of the car? There
are spinners for the "near" side and for the "off" side of the car. The
word "UNDO" has an arrow pointing to the front of the car. To tighten the
spinner you turn it toward the rear of the car -- away from the arrow. If
you put the spinners on the wrong side of the car they can "unspin" as you
drive and cause all sorts of mayhem and damage...

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here, but sometimes we overlook the
obvious.

Carol

At 09:27 PM 9/3/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Got a call from my partner today , saying the front left knock off fell off.
>We jacked the car , hamered the spinner back on , I left him my car and took
>his 66GT home to check it out . I had a little trouble on the way .  One
block
>to the freeway, down the ramp and up to 50 MPH and clink , ping , ping ,
>there goes the spinner bouncing down the road .  I think it hit a pick-up and
>a car but they kept on going so there was nothing I could do about it .  I
>slowed down even more and took the exit, it was the one I wanted anyway .
>stop light at end of ramp so I got out and checked .  The wheel was still on
>all the way !  So off I go on to the buisyest street in town , stop n check ,
>over and over til I got to my turn .  Up a hill round a curve , down the hill
>then , bang   scrape scrape  there goes the wheel .  It bounced off a large
>rock in front of someones house .  I'm sure glad it did't go in the house
!  I
>jacked and rewheeled , turned the corner and bang off again !  One block from
>home .  Now I know many of you are thinking"Wow , how stupid can he be ?" But
>I realy thought some one had tampered with the knock-off and didn't realize
>the noise I heard when braking was the hub splines sliping .  I hammered that
>sucker on tight .  Just one second on the brake and it was loose !   So heed
>the warning !  Don't ignore that clunk you hear when you back up and stop or
>go forward and stop !  I replaced one axle hub on it  soon after getting the
>car , it came with a new hub .  I had turned a corner and started up hill and
>I could feel and hear the splines slip .  now I need an other hub and a wheel
>.  I'm glad the Portland ABFM is this weekend .  They have a large flea
swap .
>I need to know the schedual of events .  I had saved a message that had a web
>address with the info but I got a " unknown host" flag and nothing else .  In
>case you haven't guessed , I'm very close to illiterate on a computer ,  this
>message has taken about45 min for me to type , but I am trying to learn .
Can