Re: MGA ball joints

To: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Subject: Re: MGA ball joints
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 22:29:14 -0500
Kevin,

I ASS-U-ME that you are talking about the tie rod ends. These are a
tapered pin in a tapered hole and are tightened (read wedged) together
when the castle nut is tightened. Many years has added to the problem.

I have always managed to free them by holding a mallet, about 2 or 3
pounds against one side of the the steering lever and striking the
opposite side with a 20 oz hammer. Probably should use a ball peen type
here. 3 or 4 hefty strikes against the lever should do it. This sets up
a shock wavw in the assembly which frees the parts. Then, with the nut
loosened to be flush with the end of the ball threads, strike the nut
upward. This has always removed the beasts for me.

Chuck Schaefer