Re: MGA ball joints

To: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Subject: Re: MGA ball joints
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 07:45:12 -0700
Kevin Richards wrote:

> Wow, those suckers are on there tight!!
>
> I removed the front passenger side shock so that I may take it in for a
> core...needs to be replaced with a nice new one.
> My problem is.....I figured...while I'm in here, I may as well replace
> all the rubber gaskets, spacers...etc on the spindle. However, when I
> came to remove the ball joint, I took off the castle nut, and no way is
> that thing budging.
>
> Does this just need the persuation of a ball joint separator (looks like
> a tuning fork on steroids)???
> Or is there something that I am missing??
>
> any help is always appreciated...
>
> thanks
>
> Kevin Richards.
>
> 62 MGA
> 77MGB

Fit a ball joint seperator and screw it down hard, LEAVING THE NUT ON
THE THREADS, only unscrewed about 4 to 5 turns, put a jack under the
steering arm to support it, and hit the top of the seperator HARD with a
large precussion-precision instrument...( 2lb hammer.)

                               OR

Heat up the steering arm, and with the seperator fitted, it should
release the taper.

                                OR

Sometimes a hard whack with two hammers at the same time, on each side
of the steering arm end at the taper joint works.

First one always works for me.

Neil.