Re: Rocker Post Shims.......

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rocker Post Shims.......
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 16:54:37 -0700
No, not an answer, but more information. In the UK magazine 'Practical
Classics', a series of aricles were run on updating and improving the
MGB in 1988. The articles are still interesting, and in the July '88
issue, Ron Hopkins shows an engine rebuild. There is a super photo of
the two shims being fitted to the two centre posts, BUT NO EXPLANATION.(
Page 41.)

If you want back copies of these articles, ( including the MGB V8) email
< practical.classics@ecm.emap.com > They have a web site on <
www.classiccarsworld.co.uk >

I have also found diagrams of the shims on the 18V engine, in the Morris
Marina Manual, AKD 7555, issue 3. This is a book for manufacturers to
rebuild to, and is about 2" thick, full of excellent engine & gearbox
diagrams. Yes, the shims are shown in 12.29.54, but NO EXPLANATION for
them.

"MGB & MGB GT ",P. Olyslager Motor Manuals, no mention of them.

"MGA,MGB & Magnette", by Abbey, no mention.

" Motor Repair Manual, 68-70 models", MGB section, just goes into the
overdrive unit and closed circuit breathing. No shims.

"Austin 1800 & Princess manual", ( Landcrab,) shows the shims, ( page
16) but still no reason for them.

" Austin 18-22 Series", ( wedge shaped Landcrab,) again shows those
shims, on page 31, but no explanation.

I am running out of places to look...........
 Neil.