Re: Suspension Rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Suspension Rebuild
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 12:07:39 -0700
John Moonan wrote:

>I am thinking of rebuilding the suspensions on my 77 MGB.  Car has about
>68,000 mile on it but I can tell that there is a lot of slop in the
>front suspension.   My understanding is that this primarily consists of
>replacing all of the rubber bushings

First off, I'm going to assume you're talking about a street ride.
Yes, all of the bushings probably need to be replaced.  Also check
and see if the kingpins are sloppy.  If time is a concern (and even
when it's not) I'd suggest you buy (if needed) a rebuilt set of
swivel axles/kingpins.  Installing a rebuilt swivel axle assembly
only costs money (no more work involved than just replacing
bushings).

>What (if anything) needs to be rebuilt on the rear suspension?  What I
>have noticed is that the rebound straps are just about torn in half and
>need to be replaced.  Anything else?

Rebound straps, check the shocks and the shock links.  One "competition"
type item I suggest all MGB people do is replace the rubber rear axle
locating pads with nylatron.  You should also replace the u-bolts.
The stock rubber pads don't last long, and end up giving you a twitchy
'B when you get on and off the throttle.  Also wouldn't hurt to replace
the rear spring shackle bushings.

>How much of a job is it to do the front suspesion?  Can this be done in
>a weekend or is this a multiple weekend job?  How many bushings are
>there and how much disassembly is required to replace them?  Do you have
>to do both sides at the same time or is it OK to drive the car with only
>one side rebuilt?

Do both sides.  It can be done in one weekend, but plan on a couple.

>I've seen reference to V8 bushings, poly bushings, etc.  What is the
>concensus as to the best type of bushing to use and where to get them?

For normal street use, use the V8 inner/lower a-arm bushings, stock
everyplace else (except the afore-mentioned rear spring pads).

>What else should I replace while I'm at it?

Replace the wheel bearings.  Check your front rotors while you've
got it all apart, maybe brake pads.  Also check:  tie rod ends,
steering rack boots, shocks, brake line hoses, essentially all those
bits that hide up under the car.

One of the more difficult tasks (particularly one a RBB) is removing
the front coil springs.  It can be a nightmare or not-so-big-deal.
Here's how I make it a not so big deal:

 1) Always be careful with compressed suspension springs.  They
    can make you dead.

 2) Find a set of coil spring compressors that will fit up *into*
    the springs.

 3) Find a seriously strong piece of plate metal, and drill holes in
    it so the rods of the spring compressor will pass through.

 4) Place the plate under the spring pan, run the compressor rods
    up into the spring, hook and safety bolt them in place.

Spring removal tends to be a bit easier with shorter springs.

When you put everything back together, check and make sure the
bolts holding the a-arm pivots to the crossmember are tight.
They tend to rattle loose.  I've replaced mine with aircraft
grade bolts.

One final note, you will probably need a front-end alignment when
it is all done.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/