Suspension Rebuild

To: MG Car List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Suspension Rebuild
From: John Moonan <jmoonan@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 23:10:56 -0400
I am thinking of rebuilding the suspensions on my 77 MGB.  Car has about
68,000 mile on it but I can tell that there is a lot of slop in the
front suspension.   My understanding is that this primarily consists of
replacing all of the rubber bushings but I have a few questions before I
take this job on:

What (if anything) needs to be rebuilt on the rear suspension?  What I
have noticed is that the rebound straps are just about torn in half and
need to be replaced.  Anything else?

How much of a job is it to do the front suspesion?  Can this be done in
a weekend or is this a multiple weekend job?  How many bushings are
there and how much disassembly is required to replace them?  Do you have
to do both sides at the same time or is it OK to drive the car with only
one side rebuilt?

I've seen reference to V8 bushings, poly bushings, etc.  What is the
concensus as to the best type of bushing to use and where to get them?

What else should I replace while I'm at it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

--

THANX,  John Moonan, Clearwater, FL