Clutch bearings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch bearings
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:14:51 EDT
<<When I replaced the clutch components in the '70 B I owned a decade
back, I went with the roller throwout bearing but I also used the
matching pressure plate/disk in the heavy duty kit.  I suppose this
could make a difference.  Anyhoo, it was all still OK when I sold the
car 5 yrs later.
  Anyone else have experience in this business?>>

The ball bearing style of release bearing is supposed to be used with a spring
from the rear engine plate to the throw-out arm, to hold the bearing a tad off
of the pressure plate when not actuated. I am surprised that the pivots rather
than the bearing itself would be the wear points, though. Usually the bearing
will fail at fairly low mileage without a pull-off spring.

Personally, I just use the carbon bearing - it ain't broke so why fix it? I do
understand the urge to modify and improve though, and can see why many would
opt for the ball bearing style.

Bill S.