RE: Heads

To: "'WSpohn4@aol.com'" <WSpohn4@aol.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Heads
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 23:11:35 -0400
>> Now if I can just convince Bill Schooler that his 1588 really
>> needs a set of 1622 pistons/rods to go with the 'B' competition
>> head
>>
> It depends on what he wants to do with it, but if it were me
> ...... I'd order up some flat top 1622 pistons (can't quite
> remember, but I think it is .020" over).

Agree ... if my OF memory serves me, its a RCH over +.030 for a 1588
... IOW, you could fit a set of standard 1622 pistons and still be
able to rebore the block to accept a set of +.040 1588 at a later
date.

> Although frankly, the 1600 crank is a weak point and the 1622
> crank is stronger, so I'd likely build a complete 1622 (you should
> be able to find a donor Austin A60 somewhere.

Understood ... but (Bill step in here if I'm in error) he wants to
retain the stock 1588 engine ... so, the tweaks are bounded by what
ya can do with the 1588 block.

> I would _not_ shave the comp head - I would shoot for about 9.5:1
> on the street for use with readily available gas.

Agree ...

> I would _not_ install one of those God-forsaken downdraft Webers
> used by so many people that just don't understand SUs - I'd use a
> pair of 1 1/2" SUs on a modified MGB manifold, (or Magnette, if you
> could find one).

Agree ... as they say, the only way you will get my SU's is to pry them
out of my cold dead fingers ... ;^)  I am curious 'bout the Magnette
manifold ... I haven't taken a close look at one ... how does it differ
from the MGA/MGB manifold?

> But then again, why not build one of my favourite engines from the
> beginning (well, second favourite after the twinkie), the
> under-appreciated 3 main B engine? It looks right and stands up well
> (we have run 7 hour endurance races with them). I use that in my TVR
> race car with an HRG head.

Well ... unless I'm mistaken, Bill Schooler want to retains the 1588
engine ... but, from my perspective how far can you overbore the 3-main
'B' engine and retain a reasonabile degree of durablity for 'fast road'
use? ... +.060? ... +.080?

> Anyway, I agree about the 1622 rods (same as 3 main B, by the way) and
> pistons.

Yep ... seems like the logical alternative for a 1588.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII