Re: Heads

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Heads
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:04:43 EDT
In a message dated 09/09/98 11:07:33 AM EST,  larry.g.unger@lmco.com writes:

<< the Factory 'B' Competition head has the reduced combustion chamber
 volume (~38cc Vs the stock 43cc) which approximates the stock
 1498/1588 volume ... so, the CR shouldn't change.  Good point
 though ... to maintain the CR, on a 1498/1588, a stock 'B' head
 would have to be shaved to reduce the combustion chamber volume.

 Now if I can just convince Bill Schooler that his 1588 really needs
 a set of 1622 pistons/rods to go with the 'B' competition head >>

It depends on what he wants to do with it, but if it were me......
I'd order up some flat top 1622 pistons (can't quite remember, but I think it
is .020" over).
Although frankly, the 1600 crank is a weak point and the 1622 crank is
stronger, so I'd likely build a complete 1622 (you should be able to find a
donor Austin A60 somewhere.
I would _not_ shave the comp head - I would shoot for about 9.5:1 on the
street for use with readily available gas.
I would _not_ install one of those God-forsaken downdraft Webers used by so
many people that just don't understand SUs - I'd use a pair of 1 1/2" SUs on a
modified MGB manifold, (or Magnette, if you could find one).

But then again, why not build one of my favourite engines from the beginning
(well, second favourite after the twinkie), the under-appreciated 3 main B
engine? It looks right and stands up well (we have run 7 hour endurance races
with them). I use that in my TVR race car with an HRG head.

Anyway, I agree about the 1622 rods (same as 3 main B, by the way) and
pistons.

Bill Spohn