New MG

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, autox.team.net.mgs@B-LEADS1
Subject: New MG
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:12:41 -0500
<<<The next MG, which will be front-engined, front-wheel-drive (sadly) will
also be sold in the US. --  Philip Raby,  Editor, MG World>>>

This must be further proof that either BMW is trying to kill MG or that
their latest economic success is having them feeling invincible again.

No front wheel drive 2 seater has sold well in the US.  Mercury tried the
Capri.  Ford had the EXP. Lotus tried the new Elan.  Buick and Cadillac
both gave it a shot.  In all cases they were met with limited success at
best (the Allante) or absolute flops at worse.  I know I would never buy a
sports car with FWD even though I drive them exclusively for daily drivers.
 If MG is going to be a success, it will have to tap into the discretionary
funds of the aging boomers, not just a few teenagers and secrataries.
This is who own most of the Miatas now.

Someone also mentioned that lower powered RWD cars don't sell in the US.  I
agree that expensive Japanese RWD coupes don't sell well however I doubt if
BMW would feel that RWD has hurt their sales.  For better or worse, new
cars of the type we enjoy sell now days as fashion accessories as often as
to real enthusiasts.  As fashion accessories, name and breeding is
everything and, no matter how good a car Nissan or Toyota made, once the
cost of their offerings moved into P car territory, they lost their
original market.  If the Z had stayed cheap, they would still be selling
it.  People who will buy a Lexus because it is a good value would not use
the same logic on a Supra.  Who could ever justify a sports coupe as a good
value?  The game is different.

I think that MG could compete in these circles given a decent car line.  A
redesigned F would make a great Midget and a decontented (is that a word)
Z-3 with MG(A) styling cues (I think the present Z-3 is ugly as sin) would
make a good B replacement.  Leave the FWD in the family cars and the new
Mini (the original hot hatch).  In America, sports cars are RWD.

Regards,
Bill Eastma
61 MGA volunteering to model for the new MG provided it isn't FWD