Re: New MG

To: mgworld@chp.ltd.uk
Subject: Re: New MG
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:13:07 EDT
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:47:04 +0100 Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk> writes:
>On 15/9/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said
>
>>I think that MG could compete in these circles given a decent car
>line.  A
>>redesigned F would make a great Midget and a decontented (is that a
>word)
>>Z-3 with MG(A) styling cues (I think the present Z-3 is ugly as sin)
>would
>>make a good B replacement.  Leave the FWD in the family cars and the
>new
>>Mini (the original hot hatch).  In America, sports cars are RWD.
>
>It's interesting to read your comments about FWD. Gerry McGovern said
>me that he didn't believe that people today really cared about where
>the
>engine and drivetrain is, so long as the car handles well. What do
>other
>people think?
 I can only look to the ultimate in handling for vehicles - racing;
specifically purpose built racing machinery.
 Good designers of racing cars (IE. F1, F2, F3000, etc) do not design
FWD. They design mid-engined RWD.
 Now before someone jumps in and tell me about all the touring car series
that run FWD, I'm well aware that they do, BUT they have no choice; rules
limit them to the original drive system
 In this country, NASCAR is a good example of what I'm getting at. All
current NASCAR racers, Winston Cup, Busch Grand National, etc, came from
the factory as FWD cars. The racing versions are all RWD.
 As for me, IMHO FWD are for the grocery getters. RWD is for people who
like to drive cars.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget