Re: Seat belts....

To: mgrazian@ltcm.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Seat belts....
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:54:00 EDT
I would reccomend, that if you got them out a junkyard, that you not use them
at all.  Some states have made it illegal for a junkyard to sell used
seatbelts (enertia or static).  Seems that the straps (even though they might
look fine) don't hold up too well.  Any fabric exposed to the weather in an
MGB will be damaged by water and sun.  Inertia (retractable) seatbelts from
that era were made up of lots of small plastic parts... BRITISH PLASTIC.  I
mean this stuff is real shit.  I had the seemingly-all-metal inertia belts on
my MGB-GT break and refuse to engage at any time because a small plastic part
had been twisted so many times from pputting the belt on and off that it jsut
broke.
Your options:
  Moss Motors sells retractable seats belts for these cars that are new and
are made by BMH to look appropriate (expensive chunky ugly and plastic, but
thats original!)  Static (nonretractable) belts are availible at just about
any auto parts store for about $20 a set.  Another option is to get some
period belts rebuilt, but thats an expensive option and most companies, like
Snake-Oyl, will only rebuild static belts.

    John