Distributor problems

To: midgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Distributor problems
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:58:11 -0400
My car is a 1977 Midget with a 1500 cc engine.  Last night I went to
start a tune-up on the car.  I was first going to adjust the air
gap on the electronic ignition.  I took the distributor cap off and
imagine my surprise when I found points in my dizzy. So now I have
several problems.  This dizzy has a vacuum advance unit on the right
side.  At the back of the vacuum advance is a thumb screw with an
AR cast into the metal of the VA (vacuum advance) unit.  As I under
stand this 77 they had a vacuum retard unit not advance.  This dizzy
also has a wobble.  If you grasp the dizzy itself the top half can be
moved and wobbled.  The dizzy is securely fastened to the block and
cannot be rotated.  I assume this wobble is not a good thing.

What I would like it to tune up the car and get it running well with
some power.  I don't really care if the car is original.
Also the DPO had stripped off most of the pollution
control stuff.  Missing is most of the vacuum plumbing, and the air
pump.

I guess my question is how should I proceed.  As I see it I have
the following problems all of which may have different solutions.

    1.  Dizzy wobbles.  Can it be fix or rebuilt?
    2.  If I keep this dizzy what is the correct point gap/dwell?
    3.  What should I do with the vacuum advance and how do I
       assure that it is correct?  What is it hooked to?
    4.  If I replace it cause it can't be rebuilt or is not a good
       choice for the car, what should it be replaced with? Another
       dizzy w/ points or an electronic ignition?
    5. How do I determine what is the correct point and condenser for
       this dizzy.

The only other issue I can think of is the coil in my car is a 6 volt
coil (use a ballast resistor.)  Is this the correct coil or should I
go to a 12v coil?  Does it matter?
Is there anything else that I missed or need to know about.  My
mechanic skills are not the best but I can learn.
--
William M. Gilroy
77 Midget (maybe I will call it "The onion", every time I peel back a layer