Re: Distributor problems

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor problems
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 23:01:37 -0700
Word on the street is that William M. Gilroy said:
> several problems.  This dizzy has a vacuum advance unit on the right
> side.  At the back of the vacuum advance is a thumb screw with an
> AR cast into the metal of the VA (vacuum advance) unit.  As I under
> stand this 77 they had a vacuum retard unit not advance.

The advance-retard adjuster is for timing, not for changing the vacuum
advance.  If your distributor is the same as the model I have described here
(it may well not be) then 11 clicks of the adjuster = 1 degree of timing
change.

> This dizzy
> also has a wobble.  If you grasp the dizzy itself the top half can be
> moved and wobbled.  The dizzy is securely fastened to the block and
> cannot be rotated.  I assume this wobble is not a good thing.

You would assume correctly... I would think your timing is somewhat "erratic"

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)