Re: Tires and Tubes

To: Chris Rogers <TravelMW@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Tires and Tubes
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:34:18 -0700
Word on the street is that Chris Rogers said:
> Had 2 tires recently that were constant slow leakers on my '65 B, and a
> trip to my local tire shop revealed that the PO had put in tubes that
> were too large. New tubes at 9.00 each, and not a leak. No inner bands
> that cover the spokes, and tire shop, (independent and very reputable)
> said that they couldn't supply them. He reluctantly wrapped each with
> tape, no guarantee and with my approval. My question......any suggestion
> as to where to get these inner bands?

Moss and Victoria British both sell them for about $7 each.  Or as someone
on the list pointed out, you can make them if you have some old bicycle tubes
around.  Plumber's PVC tape has also been praised.

> As a former caulk and sealant salesman, I would be reluctant to use
> silicone over the spoke ends before seating the inner bands. Most
> silicones cure by releasing acetic acid, and believe me, they really
> corrode any exposed metal that may be in that wheel. There are silicones
> that don't have this property, but you have to go to a speciality
> supplier to get them, mainly to be sure that they are fresh. (They can
> be old and still be gunned out of the tube, they just will not cure.)

Good to know!

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)