MGA Top and Gearbox questions

Subject: MGA Top and Gearbox questions
From: "Dave Ahrendt" <ahrendt@agfa.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:54:37 -0400
Hi All,

Two questions for anyone who may have knowledge

1.     Any preferences on tops (hoods) for '59 MGA 1500?
        Robbins - Local installer wants to install
        AMCO(sp?)
        Others??

2.    Is there any issue in swapping a 1600 gearbox into a
        late 1500 (15GD series - high starter mount)?  I believe
        that the splines are the same and with the same starter
        position that the engine backplate should be the same.

        I'm thinking of making this switch - my existing tranny is
        making some ugly ringing tinkling noises in all gears at the same
engine
        speed - regardless of road speed.  I'm guessing that the
        input shaft bearing has had it.

        I'd like to do the quickest out/in.  Renting engine hoist, renting
        friends :), etc. :)

Thanks, Dave