Re: MGA Top and Gearbox questions

Subject: Re: MGA Top and Gearbox questions
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:34:49
At 08:54 AM 9/22/98 -0400, Dave Ahrendt wrote:
>2.    Is there any issue in swapping a 1600 gearbox into a
>        late 1500 (15GD series - high starter mount)?  I believe
>        that the splines are the same and with the same starter
>        position that the engine backplate should be the same.

Nope.  If your late 1500 has the high starter location, it should be the
same gearbox as used in the 1600's.  Just check to be sure it has the
4-bolt flange on the output shaft, and the driveshaft with the sliding
spline just behind the front u-joint.  If your existing setup has the
sliding spline in the rear end of the gearbox, and the one-piece
driveshaft, you will also need to procure the 2-piece driveshaft to go with
the 1600 gearbox.

Barnay Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude