The zombie MGB (aka. the day of the living dead)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The zombie MGB (aka. the day of the living dead)
From: Fred Cheney <FCheney@kinneyassoc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:24:01 -0400
Just to share a moment of glory....

I recently purchased a 1972 MGB with the understanding that the vehicle
may or may not run.  AS my luck would have it....you guessed it the car
would not start.  When the starter was actuated (via a horn button taped
under the dash)  the starter would make a loud click noise but the
engine would not turn over.  As luck would have it the Moss catalog I
had ordered to deal with the impending outflow of cash included a
magazine with a tech tips section.  The tech tip in this issue was
"Starter inoperative 1968-1980 MGB", imagine my luck.  I followed the
trouble shooting procedures and found the starter itself, as well as the
starter solenoid were functional.  I began to think that the engine
might be seized :(

Always being the optimist I held out hopes that the alternator was
seized, thus causing the engine to not turn over (even when the car was
pushed in 4th gear).  I cut off the belt and of course found the
alternator to be free!  My next step was to remove the spark plugs.  I
poured automatic transmission fluid into each cylinder, and for good
measure dumped the remaining 1/2 quart into the crankcase.  Again I
tried to turn over the engine with the "push and rock" method....with no
luck. I began to think of creative ways of removing the engine for the
impending rebuild.

Feeling somewhat dejected by now I sat in the car and repeatedly
depressed the starter button.  After about 20 times I looked up to see
ATF all over the garage wall (a good 5 feet from the car!).  Holy Cow!
(I thought to my self in more colorful language!).  I quickly grabbed a
number of shop rags and placed them over the spark plug holes and
continued to operate the starter.  The engine was now turning over
freely.

The next step, of course, was to actually start the beast.  Based on
what I knew about the previous owner, I fully expected that the vehicle
would not start but I gave it a shot anyhow.  I reinstalled the plugs,
removed the air cleaners and got out the starting fluid.  After spraying
enough starting fluid to give me a slight buzz the car was still not
starting.  Then suddenly, as if in a dream, I realized that the car may
not have fuel.  I quickly grabbed the gas which was meant for the lawn
mower (I'll let the grass grow) and filled the tank.  This time, after
two hits of the starter buttom, the car sputtered to life! (all this
using a wrench, rachet, srewdriver and scissors!).

Needless to say, the garage (actually the whole neighborhood) filled
with thick smoke from the ATF burning out of the cylinders.  This
cleared in a short while.  I shut the car down to let it cool (remember,
no belt, no waterpump).  The next restart, 30 minutes later happened
with one push of the starter button.  Time to drive out of the garage!
A quick jaunt up and down the street produced enough smoke to kill every
mosquito in upstate New York.  I then parked the car, not wanting to
risk damaging the crank or bearings due to the thinning, and cleaning
properties of the ATF.

Well, that is enough gloating for now.  Time to get out the parts
catalogs and begin to plan my future spending.  Yet another MG prepares
for its future life.

Any hints anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Fred Cheney
Kinney & Associates, Inc.
fcheney@kinneyassoc.com
(518) 266-9100 x131