Re: MGB third gear problem

To: ame@synaptics.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB third gear problem
From: BBubeck@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:09:43 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-23 17:17:50 EDT, ame@synaptics.com writes:

<< occasionally when I slow down hard by braking and dropping into 3rd gear
the
 car jumps out of gear.  Often this is quite quiet but annoying, sometimes it
 makes a loud bang or similar noise.

 Does anyone know what can cause this?  I am hoping it is not serious. >>

Andy,
My 74 B does the same thing. I've been told that it's pretty common for third
gear to go this way. The only solution is to rebuild the tranny (or at least
third gear) or replace it. Neither one sounds like a lot of fun. I've been
thinking that this problem is a good excuse to put in an OD transmission.
There's no guarantee that a used OD transmission won't do the same thing
however.
Bruce