Water Pump disintegration

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Water Pump disintegration
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:32:20 -0700 (PDT) (20:32 UT)
Well, one of my more helpful collegues told me that Tintin was losing
"oil, it looks green."  So Tintin was dumping radiator fluid at an
abysmal rate, and a cursory look failed to reveal from where.
After getting it home, it appeared that it was the water pump.
"Damn! I only changed that, er, ummmmmmm, six years ago."
Anyway, I pulled it off last night, and I found that the metal impellers
were rather unevenly deteriorated, and one was gone completely!  So
somewhere in my water jacket is a piece of water-pump impeller.  The
deterioration does not appear to be corrosion, or at least there is no
rust apparent.  It looks more like the effects of long-term cavitation.
Some of the blades are intact, some pitted badly, one almost cut in half,
and one gone completely.  Bizzare!
Someone was lamenting the poor efficiency of the plastic impellers?
I think I prefer a merely inefficient impeller to one missing parts!

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*