Re: NEW TOY!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: NEW TOY!!
From: C David Lynes <cdlynes@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:45:28 -0400
>>>SNIPPET>>>>
I think it was a good buy for $1600.  I got a pretty toy that I can have
some
fun with.  Please only say kind things tonight.  I'm still floating!!
<<<<Unsnip<<<<

Congrats on the new toy, AJH!

Nothing wrong with it as far as your description goes.  I know how you
feel.  When I bought my first LBC, I made agreement and paid for my
Midget, replaced and bled the new  slave cylinder (included in the sale)
drove it home 150 miles in the dark and the rain. Of course, I was as
wet as if I hadn't put the top up.   After sitting for a year, it ran
reasonably well, though I couldn't see the cockpit due to dim bulbs.  It
had recently been painted a non-original dark blue, which later started
peeling off to reveal a bright Clemson Tiger orange (explained by the
student parking decal, 3 years old, on the bumper.) Under the orange was
the original blue.

Two weeks later, call me a hopelessly optimistic fool, I drove it from
South Carolina to upper New York State, in November with the top down
all the way!   I called it my shake down cruise, because I knew what
ever was needed would manifest itself on the trip.  The only things that
went wrong was a grounding wire shook loose under the dash, easily found
and corrected, and the brakes needed bleeding as I needed to pump the
pedal to get it to grip.  (replaced the fluid, too) oh, not to mention
the quart of oil every tank of gas. (serious blow-by, but at 32 mpg, I
really didn't want to touch the engine yet) Drove back through NYC,
where I had business, Baltimore, Richmond for a deposition, etc. down
I-95.  Great trip and a chance to bond with the little thing. I really
think it appreciated the chance to show me what it could do.

Since then, I have done considerable work I would call routine
maintenance (which was not done over the years, so I can't complain too
much about the DPO's since I took that into consideration with the
purchase price...except that orange!)

Also, the car has been used by my teen-aged sons, who are now off to
college.  As long as they were driving it daily, I couldn't see the need
to perform the minor body work it was slowly accumulating...  But as
soon as my newborn sheltie pups are out of the garage, the Midget is
next, slated for a new windscreen, complete paintjob, down through the
horrid orange, repair of the headlamp areas of the front fenders where
my son kissed a step bumper of a pickup truck...

Good luck.  I love driving my Midget even more than the MGB.

David Lynes, Woodstock, GA
73 Midget
78 MGB

P.S.  Would anyone like a Sheltie pup, delivery around Nov 18?