Re: tach does not move

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Bill Saidel" <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: tach does not move
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:24:14 -0500
Up front - this is the caveman method, sort of.
The age old method that I discovered is a gentle rap on the thing while the
car is running. Mine sticks too, but this works for me, and may not for you,
so be careful. The BFH method isn't recommended for guages. I discovered it
only after I had tested the circuit and found it ok and in utter
frustration, I cursed and gave it a smack while sitting at a stoplight. Mind
you -- don't break the lens!
If the wire from the coil is sending juice (test at the coil wire per your
wiring diagram, then continuity at the other end that attaches to the tach)
to the tach (ground is a common with the other guages), it is likely that
the tach is jammed up inside. You might try gently  tapping on the backside
of it from under the dash while watching for movement. It's worth a shot for
starters, and a much cheaper avenue than pulling it out and/or replacing it.
Please don't break it, or blame me if you do, but something about these
Smiths Tachs gets gummed up in humid weather. If it has been sitting that
way for a while the needle may be glued to "0", and the only fix then is
R&R.
Dan
73 B