'77 MGB brake servo problem

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '77 MGB brake servo problem
From: John Griset <jsgriset@netscape.net>
Date: 29 Sep 98 11:52:25 CDT
I have a 1977 MGB with a brake servo problem.  The engine coughs and sput=
ters
when the brake pedal is applied and you can hear a hissing noise coming f=
rom
the servo.  When I disconnect the vacuum hose from the servo and plug it =
up,
the car runs great, though with manual brakes only, since the servo is
effectively disconnected.  My first question is, is it OK to drive the ca=
r in
this condition, with the hose plugged up?  My next question is, what is t=
he
best way to repair/replace the servo?  Is it a do-it-yourself job? Are
new/reconditioned servos even available?

Aside from this problem, the car is in like-new condition, red with black=

interior and 130,000 miles.  I have owned it for 16 years and it is now a=

weekend car.  I have it nearly restored now with all original parts.  I w=
ould
like to drive it more now that the temperatures in Dallas are below 100 i=
n the
daytime, but am not sure what to do about the servo.  =

Thanks in advance for your advice.

John Griset
Dallas, TX
'77 MGB Roadster

More than just email--Get your FREE Netscape WebMail account today at htt=
p://home.netscape.com/netcenter/mail