Rough Idle on hot days

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rough Idle on hot days
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:14:12 EDT
On a hot day, if I have a long wait at the stop light, the idle gets rough. If
I wait long enough without toughing the accelerator, the RPMs will drop so low
that the engine will stall. The idle is pretty smooth at first, and stays
smooth in the mornings when the temperature is cooler. This is a 71 B that has
aftermarket 'pancake' air filters. (Could those snouts on the OEM filters be
there to suck up cooler air away from the exhaust manifold? Maybe MG knew
something the aftermarket didn't know.) Anyway the engine has been tuned
recently by a professional with new points, condenser, dist cap, plug wires,
etc. and it just purrs underway. The temp gauge stays right on the 'N' at all
times (new 190 deg thermostat). I don't think I have an overheating problem,
but something here is heat related. I imagine the ambient air temp under the
hood climbs when stopped even if the engine is not overheating. Any thoughts
on what may be going on? This is a minor inconvenience now, but could be a big
pain in a hot traffic jam.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336