Re: questions about '60 MGA for sale

To: PLM97@aol.com
Subject: Re: questions about '60 MGA for sale
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:11:11 -0500
As far as the wire wheels go, British Wire Wheels used to replace bad spokes and
true wire wheels but has stopped doing this. The labor cost to loosen the spokes
and true them is way too much. They now rebuild the wheels. They cut out ALL
spokes and replace with new spokes and nipples. Costs less than new wheels.

However, after reading the site listed in another response, if you feel up to
it,
you can do-it-yourself. But only if you feel competent. Buy the new spokes and
nipples from British Wire Wheels and have at it. I just did that this year and
am
very pleased with the results. I painted the hub and outer wheel silver and used
the stainless spokes with chrome nipples. You can save considerable money by
going with the steel spokes and nipples and then paint the whole assembly after
truing. Truing is not hard at all. Just requires patience and an understanding
of
the physics involved. Be warned though, this is not a job to start if your not
100% confident in your abilities. If you screw up, you have noone to blame and
end up in the same predicament your in now--- needing the wheels trued.

Oh yeah,  rebuilt shocks are in the neighborhood of about $70.00 each thru each
of the many vendors. (minus any sales going on).

If you decide on the purchase, good luck. I'm sure that you will enjoy the "A".
know I have enjoyed mine.

Chuck Schaefer
56 MGA 1500 Roadster (a compilation of parts, and going to be finished next year
or else!)
61 MGA 1600 Coupe