Re: questions about '60 MGA for sale

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: questions about '60 MGA for sale
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 01:41:54 -0400
Nory wrote:
> Burning oil when you accelerate hard, on the other hand, usually
> indicates worn/broken rings.

  Being in the process of fixing said problem on my B,
here's how to manifest this problem very noticeable.

  Drive the car along at about 3000 in top for
a minute or so. Brake to about 2000 in top then
accelerate back without downshifting. Voila, smoke.

  I just pulled all the pistons on my B and out of
all four pistons, two rings each, I recovered a grand
total of ONE intact ring.

  And this was an engine that seemed to run fine as
long as you didn't look in the rearview.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca