Re: MGB engine on the rise (was Re: MGB dead engine report.)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB engine on the rise (was Re: MGB dead engine report.)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 01:21:12 -0400 (EDT)
  Beg, borrow
>> or steal a ridge reamer and remove the offending protrusions.
>
>  I was ready to buy one, but I balked. The only one I could find
>anywhere close to locally would be over $100 after taxes.

Aren't there any local auto parts stores that lend tools out up there? (And
besides, what's $100 CDN these days anyway...)

>  I am sort of trying to weigh it out. There is only one spot on
>all four cylinders that I can feel a ridge. I had no problem getting
>any the pistons out. I have also heard from more than one source
>that a ridge reamer might not be a good idea for an engine in situ,
>because getting the swarf out might be hard.

I would advise lining the bottom of the cylinder with something (cardboard
and tape should work) so that metal bits don't float out of the cylinder
and ruin the rest of your engine. Then blow or vacuum it out, then
wipe/rinse, when each cylinder is done. Proceed slowly, it's worse to
overream than under. Use a ring on it's own (or better, an inside mic if
you have one) as a guide.

The hone should leave a checkerboard looking pattern at about a 60 degree
angle. Again, make sure you don't leave any dust in there, as it might chew
up your pretty new bearings. Good luck.