Re: what to look for (And a bit of a rant)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: what to look for (And a bit of a rant)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 14:52:26 -0400 (EDT)
>i am going to look and passable buy a another mg midget. i have not
>had much time and bought the first rather quickly. could i get some
>hints on what to look for possable problems or oddities in the midget
>

>cg 1974 midgets

Are you shopping for a parts car or another driver (maybe leaving your
first as a parts car?)?

Look for RUST, especially on the lower firewall, door sills and rockers,
and on the insides of the quarter panels. Pull up the carpet if possible
and look for rust on the floor, especially where it joins with the sills.
If there's any there, it is probably best used as a parts car. Other than
that, check all of the things you would check on any used car, how it runs,
does it burn oil, does it drive and shift well, and so on. Check all of the
electrical accessories, they don't all have to work, but if they don't,
keep it in mind when making an offer, because you might be surprised at how
much a bunch of electrical stuff adds up to, and how long it takes to chase
down what the problem is. (Now if I could only practice what I preach...)

And for you specifically, try to find a midget with the same drivetrain as
the one you have (1275 engine) and as close as possible to the same year,
for maximum parts compatibility if you decide to use one for parts.

I should caution that I've never owned a midget, but have shopped for them
often, and it's not easy. Be careful, and harden your heart! Because they
are one of the least expensive LBCs they are often heavily neglected. I've
seen more super-rusty, poor running spridgets at wildly optimistic asking
prices than I care to remember, including one with the seats bolted onto
plywood, which sat loosely on top of the gaping holes in the floorboards, a
bad head gasket which the seller conveniently neglected to mention, and
wire wheels clunking on the splines, as well as a number of other "minor
problems". I think the seller was asking for $1000. And that was almost 10
years ago, and not the worst example I've seen. DON'T trust what ads
say...for some reason the world seems to be full of A**holes who think that
they can write whatever they want in an ad and tell you whatever they want
over the phone in order to get you to drive two hours to look at an
absolute wreck outrageously priced. They don't seem to mind making 200
people waste half a day as long as it serves their quest for that one
glorious sucker. These are the "some teenager will come along..." people,
and sadly they are usually right. Fortunately, I didn't have that
experience when I found my B.

I'm sorry, please excuse my tirade. But many of you know what I'm talking
about. Maybe we should start an LBC shopper's support group.

Well, good luck. Don't let my rantings discourage you, because there are
still some good cars (and decent sellers) out there.