Re: Hehe revisited (wordy, usual for me...)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hehe revisited (wordy, usual for me...)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:27:04 -0400 (EDT)
 To save wear and tear on my jewels, and to save the life of my
>> rambunctious teenager, I bought him a $300 '80s vintage Volvo that he
>> could work on himself.

You bought it for him!?

>> Too many kids are just given what they want, without any real regard for
>> how much their parents have to struggle to provide it.

Well, I think we're all making the hasty assumption that Eddie actually
isn't paying for it himself...the "price doesn't matter" would seem to
indicate that he isn't, but he may have meant "within reason, for a rubber
bumper B." Someone just about to get his driver's license may have a couple
of years wages saved by now (I know I did, and that's how I paid for my
first car, including insurance, registration, all repairs, gas, etc).

And even if he isn't buying it with money that he earned, hey, we can't all
have the privilege of being poor redneck A-holes, can we? I did know a few
well-off kids when I was growing up who still took good care of their cars,
and we should be glad that someone that age is actually interested in an MG
rather than a Miata or a Mustang. He'll probably even have the money to fix
it right if it breaks.

Should parents who can easily afford to buy their kids a car make them
"earn" it in the traditional way, when the money doesn't mean as much? Or
should they make them "earn" it by things such as doing more around the
house, excelling in academics, or volunteer work, or somesuch thing?
Someone taking AP courses might have their future better served by focusing
on school rather than flipping burgers or pumping gas. As the old
Downeaster said to the rich young politician who had never held gainful
employment, "Don't worry about it, sonny, you ain't missing much."

So, though I remain a true red(neck),white(trash), and blue(collar)
American, perhaps we should be a little more objective.

I'd also like to apologize for talking so much about Eddie K. (his earlier
obtuseness aside for the moment) and what's good or bad for him, as though
he were not here to discuss it with us. It seems he's having the experience
typical for adolescents who seek out advice from older people...they ignore
or ridicule his questions, do not instruct him on how to be more
diplomatic, do not bother to find out much about his particular situation,
and then wonder why young people don't know much. Do we really know enough
about the situation to pass those kinds of judgements?  He's on the list,
and you have his private e-mail address, so why not...ask him??

Nevin