Re: '67 BGT - no reverse gear

To: Dion Fluttert <dion@dfluttert.demon.nl>
Subject: Re: '67 BGT - no reverse gear
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 20:26:46 +0000
Dion Fluttert wrote:

> 2. My overdrive sometimes disengages. It mostly happens when I
> accelerate while in overdrive. E.g. when driving at 60, overdrive
> switched on, trying to (gently) increase the speed to 70 mph. When doing
> things very gentle, it will stay in OD. A little more harsh, it
> 'automatically' disengages to direct 4, and after easing the accelerator
> when at a constant speed again, it will 'automatically' switch on into
> OD again.

Some cars did had the system you describe, but not yours as it left the
factory as far as I know.  It is more likely to be slight wear here and
there in the gearbox and overdrive gear switch giving an intermittent
contact.  If you can screw the switch into the gearbox a little more it
should solve the problem, although it is a bit of a pig to get to.

PaulH.