Re: True or False

To: dresden@tiac.net, VretroW@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: True or False
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:26:14 EDT
>dresden@tiac.net wrote:

>I will say this though: Especially if you live in an area where there's
>snow on the roads in the winter, somebody who just got his driver's license
>should not be driving an MGB on a daily basis, because rear drives,
>especially lighter ones, can be very unforgiving in bad weather. For what
>it's worth, that's from someone who grew up driving rear-drive cars in
>Maine, and has been off the road a coupla-three times before he learned a
>little.  MGs also tend not to start as readily (doesn't mean that they
>WON'T, but...) in cold weather.

Nevin,

I must disagree with you.  I learned to drive in RWD cars, as did most of the
listers who are "a little older" and that is a major reason we are so happy
with our cars.  You have to drive it and learn how to respect it's handling.
If you don't, what makes you think you will be any good at all?  (Actually,
the first car I drove was a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser.  Talk about road
holding weight!  Really tough to keep on the road in the snow, but I managed.)

I drove my '63 Alpine Ser. III and then my '67 TR4A IRS every day while I had
them from 1967 through 1973, in all kinds of weather.  Both cars handled fine
in the snow and ice storms we get north of Philadelphia, BECAUSE I learned how
to drive them.

Let's encourage the new generation of drivers to learn the proper way to
drive.  If he can learn how to take care of the car, it will start for him in
the cold.

Just my 2 cents.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget