Re: MG Colours

To: KGROWLER@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Colours
From: Rodney McDonald <rmcd@marspec.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 08:14:54 -0500
At 10:48 PM 10/8/98 EDT, KGROWLER@aol.com wrote:
Anybody else out there
have a '73 GT North American spec in this flavor. Or have even seen one?
>Kim Tonry
>Downers Grove, IL
>59 MGA - Flame Red, originally Orient Red
>69 Midget - Some kind of Green that looks like it was put on with a roller
>over Pale Primrose
>73 GT - LIMEFLOWER - the few, the proud...
>79 Midget - Brooklands Green

Yes, indeed! A past president of our local British car club owns one. He's
had it for about four years and boy, did he take some abuse when he brought
it to a meeting! The usual excrement references, Safety-Kleen green and so
on. It's actually grown on most of us now. He's having a tough time finding
proper covers for the seats to redo his interior, though... anyone who
could offer advice, I'll be sure to pass it on.

As for my own experience, my '76 roadster came to me in Tahiti blue. Since
it was going to take a lot of body part replacement, I thought I would
choose the color I liked best for that model year.

As I got into the job, I discovered that it was originally painted
Citron... actually what most normal people would call chartreuse. However,
in '76 BeeEll had a color actually called Chartreuse. It's a pale yellow,
not unlike Pale Primrose of earlier years. That's what I chose and I love
it! The only other one I've seen in that color was on one on a used car lot
in Holland, Michgan this past summer.

As a side note, my brother (who also has a '76 roadster - Flamenco) and I
bought two donor cars over the past two years. The first one, a '75 was
metallic brown - under that paint job the original color was Citron. The
second, another '75 had a Fact-o-Bake white paint job on it. Its original
color? You guessed it... Citron.

A young lady in Pensacola, Florida recently renovated her '75 'B and kept
it in its' original Citron... stands out in a crowd! It's not my cup of
tea, but I try to keep in mind that the original colors we have to work
with are simply relics of their time.

Good on ya' Kim. Hold your head high!

Rodney McDonald
'76 'B 393703