Re: HELP: Dumb Owner Trick

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: HELP: Dumb Owner Trick
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 08:44:29 +1000
At 09:13 pm 9/10/98 +0100, Phil Raby wrote:
>On 9/10/98 7:12 pm mgs-owner@autox.team.net said
>
>>Could be the over-run valves on the throttle butterflies playing up.=20
>>But in any case you need to do a full carb adjustment (after valve
>>adjustment and ignition setup) before looking for any other problems.
>
>If this is the problem, I've always got around it by gluing the valve up=20
>with Araldite =AD they never work properly. You could, of course, buy new=
=20
>butterflies without the valve holes if you want to do it properly.
>

>Cheers,
>
>Philip Raby

Not a recommended fix as the Araldite gets hard from the heat and flakes
off into the carby.  It may not block anything but the poppet valves will
be free again.  Better to solder them closed.  It is easily done as the
metals involved are mostly brass.  There is insufficient heat to melt the
solder in use.

Graham
97 MGF

Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia