Re: HELP: Dumb Owner Trick

To: "Graham McCann" <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Re: HELP: Dumb Owner Trick
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:49:42 +0100
On 9/10/98 11:44 pm Graham McCann said

>Not a recommended fix as the Araldite gets hard from the heat and flakes
>off into the carby.  It may not block anything but the poppet valves will
>be free again.  Better to solder them closed.  It is easily done as the
>metals involved are mostly brass.  There is insufficient heat to melt the
>solder in use.

I must admit I've never had problems with Araldite on carbs.

Why, in my college days, I even remember gluing an electric kettle spout
on with the stuff! Neither the heat nor the moisture affected it!!

Still, solder is probably a more professional bet. Even better, take out
the valves completely and solder up the holes to give better airflow.

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk