MGA body panels and oil filter problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA body panels and oil filter problems
From: parkerw@juno.com
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:19:17 EDT
Hello everyone,
        I'm an MG fanatic, only 15, new to the list, currently fixing a
1957 MGA roadster that I picked up for $1000.  The body is in decent
shape except for the aluminum panels.  I'm looking for a decent used hood
and doors.  I'm located in Chicago, but I'll pay for shipping if it isn't
too expensive.  I also ran into a problem while changing the oil.  This
may sound stupid, but the piece of the oil filter that is supposed to
come off doesn't.  Don't dismiss me as a fool.  I know about these
old-style canister filters, but mine is just one piece.  There is a large
metal can on the side of the crankcase, looks like an oil filter, it has
a copper pipe coming out of the top, I took a long bolt out of the bottom
which drained all of the oil, but I couldn't replace the filter because
the canister wouldn't budge and I couldn't get the copper pipe unbolted.
Any help would be appreciated.  As I am on the digest, please reply
direct. (parkerw@juno.com)
        Thanks,
Parker Whiteway
57 MGA roadster

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]