Re: Washing body and wheels

To: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Subject: Re: Washing body and wheels
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 08:02:05 -0400
At 07:04 PM 10/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I just picked up my first MG - an 80 B !  It is incredible !

Congrats and welcome.

>What is the recommended washing method ?
>Any particular car wash ?

Depends on how dirty it gets.  I don't let my MGA get filthy, and always
wash by hand, never with a hose.  I don't want water anywhere it can find
it's way into attack mode.  Any quality CAR detergent will do. Never use
dish detergent.  I use less than the bottle recommends, and clean one panel
at a time, ensuring that the dirt comes off on my cloth, and doesn't get
spread down into the snug places. then I rinse using the same method.  I
end up with about ten dirty old towels and a spotless car.

>How about the wheels and tires ?

I have chrome spokes.  I use Windex sprayed onto a cloth to clean all the
chrome.  I clean the tires same as the paint.  At least once a season, I
remove the tires and lay them on the coffee table to clean them, one at a
time, while watching some lengthy TV thing, like football.  Works great for
me, and my wheels look fantastic.

Also the body is in very good condition.  What is the
>consensus on Waxoil ?  Does it work ?

Prolly does, but I haven't tried it.  I use Maguires products, which aren't
cheap either, but I like them.

>Lastly, Zymol wax/wash was the craze for a while.
>But now I understand that they were bought out
>by Johnson Wax or some large company.  Is Zymol
>still a good product ? Is it worth the price ?

Huge caveat here. I wouldn't trust Johnsons any more than I trust Allied
Signal and what horrible things they did when they bought out Fram.

That being said, wax is God.  Use it often.  It's so easy on our LBC's.
After the first thorough wax job, 45 minutes a month is all you need to
keep your B gleaming.

Again, congrats Gene, and welcome to the List and the wonderful world of
Morris Garages.

Dave Iwansky
'62 MGA 1600 MkII