Re: Washing body and wheels

To: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Subject: Re: Washing body and wheels
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:04:37 +0000
Eugene Balinski wrote:

> I just picked up my first MG - an 80 B !  It is incredible !
> But more on that experience later.  I now need to care for it
> correctly.  What is the recommended washing method ?
> Any particular car wash ?  How about the wheels and tires ?
> Any suggestions for a good rubber cleaner and protector for the not
> oxidized bumper ?

I never use a sponge, always a soft hose-brush (the same brush bought
for me by my wife when we bought out first car some 30 years ago).  A
sponge holds onto the dirt and scratches the gloss, a hose brush floats
the dirt off.

I never use detergent, just clean water.  Detergent removes wax.  Most
grease spots, fly squash etc come off with gentle rubbing with the
hose-brush.  Anything else is removed withsolvent just before the next
polish.

I always splash water over the lower panels before using the brush so as
to soften any mud.  I always start at the bottom and work up so as to
continually rinse off the lower panels.  I am more liberal with the hose
on the GT than the roadster, for obvious reasons.  As the GT is my daily
driver I always hose round the wheel arches, paying particular attention
to the lip.

Wheels and tyres just the same.  Chrome wires get washed, dryed, wax
polish sprayed, wiped over and polished off.  Takes about an hour each
wheel, but its worth it.

>         Also the body is in very good condition.  What is the
> consensus on Waxoil ?  Does it work ?

Reputedly very good.  Ideally applied using an airline rather than the
pump that comes with the kit as it atomises more.

Just my opinion, neither are show cars.  I hope yours gives you as much
pleasure as mine do me.

PaulH