Early Oil Filters

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Early Oil Filters
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 11:48:35 EDT
<<I know about these
old-style canister filters, but mine is just one piece.  There is a large
metal can on the side of the crankcase, looks like an oil filter, it has
a copper pipe coming out of the top, I took a long bolt out of the bottom
which drained all of the oil, but I couldn't replace the filter because
the canister wouldn't budge and I couldn't get the copper pipe unbolted.
Any help would be appreciated.  As I am on the digest, please reply
direct.)>>

Parker - don't be too quick to take the advice I've seen about whaling away
with something on the filter housing.
You indicate that your filter housing is one piece with the pipe coming out of
the side. This is the early style, and I expect that your engine is prior to
15BG/26933. To get that one off, you must undo the large banjo bolt holding
the pipe to the side of the filter housing.

TIP: put the bottom bolt back in and tighten it before reefing on the banjo,
then once the banjo bolt is off, take the bottom bolt out and the canister
will drop. You need a large socket to undo the banjo, but I can't remember
what size off hand.

You will also find, if you ever have to drop the sump, that you have an early
oil pump and strainer. This can be changed to the later slightly better style
without changing the pump itself..

You can also replace the filter housing with a later 2 piece unit if having to
undo the big banjo bolt becomes a pain.

Bill S.
Vancouver