Help Again - 79B Electrical - kinda long, sorry

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Help Again - 79B Electrical - kinda long, sorry
From: DBAVERY1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:00:19 EDT
Well thanks to all who helped before on my electrical problems.  Thought I was
OK but not so.  It just got worse.  Here is the history so maybe something
will trigger a thought for help.

PO had shop install a complete wiring harness due some short causing major
melting under the hood, so the car has a complete new wiring harness in the
last couple years.

PO said the car died at a station this spring and they put in a new battery. I
bought in July.

Everything went well for the 1st 5k miles I put on this year, then the starter
went out.  I was leaving on one of many trips this summer so I just got a
rebuilt and no problems - well took the old one in for rebuild and the
rebuilder said it works fine so it wasn't the problem apparrently.

Then the next week on the trip the alternator shorted - light came on with
switch off and drained the battery.Put in rebuilt alternator and off again.

Within 500 miles the alternator light was on - didn't stick this time just on
at any RPM below 3k - so back to the shop and exchanged the alternator for
another one.

Everything was going fine until tonight.  Driving along at night with
headlights on and the radio quit and then the lights got real low and the car
stopped.  No lights and would not turn over.

Pulled the battery cover in the dark and everything was tight and clean.  I
noticed the interior lights were bright so tried again and the car started up.
Radio was turned off and headed home but when turn headlights on and car
sputtered - tried to drive with just parking lights as is a somewhat clear
night - pretty soon it was sputtering again. Turned parking lights off and OK
-  back on and immediately cut out.  Turned lights off and went for awhile and
then died.  Interior light comes on but dim and  would not turn over - just
grunted like no juice.  Waited to see if it would come back to life but didn't
work the 2nd time.

Car now sitting in some nice persons drive until I can get it towed tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?  Could this new battery PO put in be
bad and shorting?  I'm at the end of my rope - works fine most of the time but
night always seems to be my doom.  Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Denny