Re: engine pull

To: wizardz@amdyne.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: engine pull
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:05:54 EDT
In a message dated 10/21/98 6:16:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
wizardz@amdyne.net writes:

<< I'm preparing to swap the O/D transmission and engine
 from YB to OB to allow me to rebuild OB's engine.

 Question? Where do most people attach a lift hoist to a B engine
 when pulling the engine and transmission together?
 I've pulled Midget motors before but never a B with it's tranny

Paul,

I have used the most forward and aft head bolts with a short, heavy chain and
hardened washers with confidence. These are larger and stronger than the valve
cover bolts. Make sure that that the the nuts are tight. You want to
maximumize the tension forces and minimize the bending forces.

To get and hold the proper angle, I have used a hardened 5/16", 4" long bolt
run through two links leaving about three links in between to form a "loop".
This loop is where I hook the cable from the come-along.

There is a nice $100 gadget in the catalogs which allows you to adjust the
angle easily, but the $2 bolt will work if you get the angle right.

I have a short junior "I" beam in the attic that bridges three ceiling joists
through which a forged eye bolt runs down through the ceiling, connecting to
the top side of the come-along. This is a permanent installation which I have
used several times.

Make sure all componients can handle at least twice the weight you are
lifting. Mine are all 2000 # minimum.

This is more information than you asked for. Be very careful. Don't ever put
yourself under the load, just in case. It is best to have someone working with
you, but I have done this by myself, too.

R. Johnson - Dallas