Interesting developments

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Interesting developments
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:49:15 -0400
Well I finally started to catch up on the ol' list today and thought I'd
drop a line to say Hi.
Since the big move last weekend (something I'd rather not remember) a few
things of note.
I used to be able to walk to the train station to get to work. Well about
5 miles is a little too far. So the Midget is returning to it's old glory
(in Arkansas) as a daily driver. Since I had not the time to make sure it
was running correctly I ran it up to Ragtops and Roadsters and had them
check it out.
It wasn't running quite right, especially when cold. Well after a new
Pertronix Igniter and adjustment to the valves and Weber, it is running
quite nicely. Haven't got a clue as to the mpg's yet - haven't burned a
full tank. While there, they ran a compression check 130-135 on 1,2,3 and
115 (I think) on 4. Not great but not bad after 10 years since I rebuilt
the engine. Still getting about 40 -60 psi on the oil too. Only hitch is
a leak down test suggests rings, I was hoping for valves - easier to
rebuild ya know.
Well with winter coming on and having to use the Midget as a daily driver
(as well as take my 15 yr old to school) I think it is time to put the
top back on the car :-(
The frame made the move all right, but the soft top was, and is a wreck.
Any recommendations on what brand to get?? Now I have a hard top for
those cold winter mornings at 6:30 AM with the daughter, but I would like
to take the durn thing off for the cruise home (when I am by myself).
Don't have a trailer for the hard top so all I get is the window :-(
I am crushed that I have to relent and put a top on the car after these
past couple of years without one. Oh well what are you going to do?

Larry Macy
78 Midget

PS we are still trying to work things out (for those that care)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section