Re: Oil smoking Midget

To: "Lie, Tore" <tore.lie@bates.no>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Oil smoking Midget
From: "Jim Carney" <carney_fam_ark@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:57:20 -0500
From: Lie, Tore <tore.lie@bates.no>
>My '61 Midget, which I have had for only a couple of months, is burning a
>lot of 20W/50 oil, trailing clouds of blue smoke behind it. I naturally
>suspect that worn bores or piston rings are the cause, but I have been told
>that missing oil seals and a generally worn valve gear can also lead to
>extreme oil consumption. Does anyone have experience with this?

Tore,
I once had an MGB that ran perfectly one day, then the next morning began
belching great quantities of oil smoke.
I replaced the valve stem oil seals to cure the problem. While I had the
head off, I had the valves ground also.
I don't know if you can remove the pistons from the bottom on a Midget.
If you suspect the bores are bad, and If you have months of down time
anyway, why don't you pull the motor & have the cylinders properly cared for
& do a proper rebuild?
Jim