Transmission rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission rebuild
From: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:10:39 -0900
All Knowing,
   I'm doing my first transmission ever (imagine that at my age) and have a
couple
of questions.  It's apart and so far I haven't had any great problems but that's
probably because I've put them off till now.  My veh is a 1956 MGA, not
chasis # but
engine #BP15G-1444.
1.  I've got no spacer tube on my 1st/2nd shaft (Moss 3461-140).
2.  I've got no shim (Moss #461-280) on the input shaft.
        Could these be a later or unnecessary modifications or has someone
been there                                         before me.

3.  How do you suggest one removes the circlips holding the needle bearings
in the
    laygears and once they are out can they be replaced with newer encased
bearings
    I've read about?  My layshaft does show significant wear so the bearing
should be
    renewed. Any experience in this would be appreciated.
4.  All my gears look pretty good.......to me..........but maybe I'm missing
what to
    look for.  The reverse gear does have some very small "lipping" on the
gears but
    I think I'll just dress them.  Other than the minor wear on reverse the
only real       wear is on the Baulk(Synchro) rings, the bushings and the
layshaft.
5.  I am in a quandry as to the Forks because I don't know what to look for.
    I suspect they're worn but I don't know what warrants replacement.
6.  Has anyone modified their 3rd/4th selector shaft by deepening the detent
    so as to prevent jumping out of 3rd gear.
7.  I don't see a lot of wear on the thrust washers but plan on mikeing
them.  Is
    there anything to look for with these?  I notice Moss sells three
different sizes.

          I plan on renewing baulk rings, layshaft, springs, needle
bearings(four sets),
             bushings(3), gaskets, roller bearings, seals, and possibly thrust
             washers.  Any other thought?
Sorry about the length, but thanks for the time and hopefully the response.
Gregg Baker