tube shock conversion

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tube shock conversion
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:27:15 -0500
I know this is an old thread, but I just took a 2 hour ride with my
Gabriel Pro-Rider Heavy Duty Gas Shocks (installed, as opposed to
sitting in the passenger seat), & I wanted to howl a bit. Pn 73626,
$12.99 each @ Pep Boys- How's that for a price, Lawrie?  As is often the
case, a volume discounter will beat the "wholesale- to- the- trade
price" from the local parts house. This is NOT a knock on Lawrie, who
has many good reasons for dealing with an auto parts house instead of
running to the discount auto supermarket. It does point out that in a
large, metropolitan market, some auto parts are very cheap if you have
the free time to do some shopping.

First, many thanks to the gentleman who spent 3 hours looking through
shock books to find a correct shock. I can't thank you enough.

I had a Spax conversion that I installed several years ago, when
autocrossing. It was good at the time, but too stiff, even at the
softest setting, for normal driving. I started to replace the Spax with
the Monroe shocks that Moss was using in their kit, but some
advice/complaints from the list warned me off. Glad I waited.

For any out there who have an existing tube shock set-up, you will find
that the Plymouth shocks will not fit the shock mounts you now have, as
the hole in the bushing is smaller that the existing stud. Rather than
replace the studs I had, I got a set of poly bushings from Rancho which
had the larger hole & replaced the originals in the Plymouth shocks.

Jim Stuart