Ceramic coatings = cooler headers

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ceramic coatings = cooler headers
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:31:19 -0600
Hi all, I have been doing some research for myself and my brother.
His V8 is about to be installed, but we still have some small points
to work out.  He needs headers for his engine.  Stainless headers are
$600+.  Mild steel headers are $300, but are prone to cracking.  So...
in efforts to save money and circumvent problems, I've come up with
ceramic coatings as a solution.  Several companies advertise ceramic
coatings for headers and engine parts.  A header coated on the outside
AND inside will reduce temps immensely.   In fact, underhood temps are
reduced anywhere from 20-30 %, and part longevity is increased
immensely.  I think this will alleviate any cracking problems, since
heat will be eliminated.  The coatings work so good, one can put their
hands on the headers while the engine is running.  This will help
reduce heat buildup in the engine bay resulting from the running of
the V8.

So, does anyone have any experience with such?  The reason I mention
this is because some of you may have problems with heat infiltrating
the passenger compartment through the firewall.  My '70 MGB cooks me
with the header.  My shoes get pretty warm in the summer.  I even put
heat reflective material on the inside and outside of the firewall and
still have problems.  Using ceramic coating, this would never be a
problem.  Some of you might be hesitant about cost.  Well, for the
price of the reflective matting, you can get a can of ceramic paint
that can be applied by yourself.  The can costs around $20, so expense
isn't bad.  It probably won't work quite as good as the commercial
stuff, but not far from it.  The key is good surface prep.

On top of that, since underhood temps are reduced, you get a cooler
intake charge for more power, and you may see benefits with better
engine cooling.

I'm researching ceramic coatings for internal engine components, which
seems promising.  Ceramic coating combustion chambers and piston tops
keep combustion temps up and increase power (very minuscule power
gains), while dry film lubricants help fight friction to the nth
degree.  I'm seriously considering these mods for my Porsche engine,
since they tend to run warm anyway.  Why not keep the heat in the
chamber and gain power?  I will let you guys know what turns up.

Jay