[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [Eric Erickson

To: mgs
Subject: [BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [Eric Erickson <eric@internode.com.au>]]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:38:58 -0700 (MST)
     Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:38:34 +0000
     From: Eric Erickson <eric@internode.com.au>
     Subject: Re: Dirty fuel jets??? FIXED!

Skye Poier wrote:

> Word on the street is that Eric Erickson said:
> > Runs like a bought one (and that high octane stuff tastes bloody
> > terrible)... until the next lump of rubbish comes through.
>
> Do you have a fuel filter?  I don't believe it was standard on your
> car.
>
> On my car, the hose from the end of the fuel line to the first T
> connector was removed and replaced by two short lengths of rubber fuel
> hose with a plastic fuel filter

Original or not, there is an inline fuel filter there (clear plastic
with filter inside) but I have no idea when it was checked or changed
last!  Maybe time for that now - but it doesn't look particularly
unhealthy from outside.

Don't know how rubbish gets through but I was a bit stunned by the
sludge on the bottom of the (at the time, DRY) float chamber.  There was
even some stuff that looked like miniture tea leaves - I read them and
they told me my 'B was going to have a long illustrious life :-)

Not wanting to risk fate (or risking fate some might say), I am not
fiddling any more until after the rally on Friday.  The first stage is a
breeze, a little "show" cruise over 13 kilometres up a decent incline,
but the second section is a two hour drive and I don't want anything
untoward happening to embarrass me in front of my boss in his 308
Ferrari (which I am sure he bought just to show up *my* little sports
car).

Thanks tyo all who offered advice on the fuel hassles.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII